Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Cool idea

While reading blogs by other people trying to go low impact, I came across this cool idea ...

"Soup Kitchen - When my husband and I were engaged, we took many of our friends and family members to a soup kitchen to volunteer. It was a bonding experience that meant more to me than a party..." Source: http://andamom.com/

Not directly low impact, but could be turned into one. For example- instead of a heavy, many coursed christmas dinner! Will surely cut down the costs and up the feel good factor :-) I think I'll investigate the options in our area and see if the family is open to something like this!

4 comments:

Stien said...

Been there, done that! Surely to be recommended :-)

Stien said...

And talking about low impact: I am moving into a new flat an have to buy everything from knives to bed to clock on the wall. I went to the Salvation Army shop today and bought a table and six chairs, another smaller table, a pair of boots, two pillows (new) and 12 Ikea-glasses which were actually more expensive there than at Ikea... My parents are sending me two boxes with stuff I have at home, even if it is cheaper to buy them new. I am buying lots of pairs of extra thick woollen stockings for guests, so I don't have to turn up the heating too much when they take off their shoes, and putting a woollen carpet under the sofa and a blanket on top for my own sake. Am I contributing or not?

parul said...

Stien- did you do it with your family? Where? Ik zoek nog een vast idee om voor te stellen...

parul said...

Definitely contributing- good girl!
It's fun once you start doing it and look for creative ways...
Last week it was Diwali (Indian new year) when you have to traditionally buy something for the house. So I went to the kringloopwinkel (second hand store) and bought a soap dish for the kitchen. Was needed, and cost me 20 cents :-)
By the way, when are you next in town?